Image Credit: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/what-a-pimple-gm477515523-36143724
Acne is a very common skin condition that we see mainly in teenagers and young adults. This is usually caused due to hormonal changes that might occur in their body during that age. Sometimes, it might be quite painful. Though there are treatments available, the condition still needs to be taken care of. Here we are going to talk all about acne and how to prevent and treat them.
What is Acne?
Acne is not a rare skin condition and almost every other person faces it at some point in life. In this condition, the pores of skin are clogged. These blocked pores will lead to whiteheads, blackheads, and other kinds of painful pimples. The pimples are usually painful and puss-filled with bumps on your skin. In medical terms, they are called acne vulgaris.
What are the different types of acne?
There are various types of acne:
- Fungal acne: This occurs when the yeast builds up in your hair follicles. It is also called pityrosporum folliculitis. You can see some inflammation and itchiness.
- Cystic acne: This is deep, puss-filled pimples and nodules. Such acne can lead to scars
- Hormonal acne: This affects adults when there is too much production of sebum that clogs the pores.
- Nodular acne: In this acne form, pimples on the skin and tender nodular lumps appear under the skin
Image Credit: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/woman-taking-care-of-her-skin-gm504243243-44319418
What are common areas to get acne?
The most common places for acne to develop include:
- Face, where it typically occurs on the cheeks and forehead
- Chest (with 15% of people getting acne on the chest)
What are the treatments available?
There are a variety of treatment options for acne. It will all depend on whether the acne is moderate or severe:
- Moderate acne treatment: If you have moderate acne, then the physician will prescribe you stronger creams or gels that contain retinoids, antibiotics, or prescription strength cleansers. In many cases, you might also require a longer course of antibiotic tablets.
- Moderate to severe treatment: In this case, you will be given a topical cream along with some tablets like antibiotics. An antibiotic will always work well when combined with a strong skin cleanser like benzoyl peroxide.
What are the causes of getting acne?
The following are the reasons for this acne:
- Testosterone: In teenagers, acne is quite common as there is an increase in the level of testosterone that occurs during puberty. Thus, more sebum is produced by the sebaceous glands leading to acne.
- Female hormonal changes: Hormonal changes during periods or pregnancy can lead to acne
- Genetics: Studies have shown that children whose parents had acne during their teenage days are more likely to get acne
- Stress: Stress is one more reason to cause acne
- Oily substances: If your skin comes in contact with oily substances or you’re standing in the kitchen area then this may cause acne
- Medication: Some steroids like prescription tablets or creams can cause acne
- Clothes & bags: If you regularly use a mask, or headband or a backpack then you can get acne
- Smoking: People who smoke a lot can get acne
- Excessive sweating: Sweating can block the pores and lead to acne.
If you are worried about this acne problem, it is better that you get help from a good physician who will advise you about the treatment at the right time.